Sunday, October 25, 2009

Birthday on a Budget

The kids are sick, the computer router's touch and go, and The Hubs is officially one year away from the big-four-oh.

But hey! Alabama won! Even though their offense is nonexistent and they like, totally owe their kicker big time.

At least, that's what the Hubs says. I have no idea what I'm talking about. And if you don't follow SEC football, you don't have any idea, either.

But they won on The Hubs birthday! whether they should have or not, so that made him happy. Especially since he made a friendly bet with some Tennessee fans at work. The Hubs should have some free beer coming his way...

Birthday on a Budget
Oh, say it isn't so. Even the cake was on the down-low. Conner made it, of course. Baker extraordinaire. (At least when it comes to box mixes.) (But hey, you gotta start somewhere.)His little brother was so excited, he could hardly contain himself.
Oh, wait. He didn't contain himself.

So much for the cake...

I forgot to get frosting. (Sorry, Hubs!) But you know? It still tasted good -- even the second time around.Presents
The Hubs got a couple of books from my parents, lots of homemade cards from the kids (and lollipops, too -- taped underneath)...

...and a homemade certificate from me promising $100 dedicated toward a new laptop that he's chomping at the bit to get. That $100 will now not go toward debt, and he knows it's there, along with another $25 he got from family as a birthday gift.

This is huge. Both my acquiescing with the $100, and him not just going out and getting a new laptop anyway. Baby steps, people.

I would be remiss not to include a, uh, card, that Conner made for his dad. Conner bought himself a DSi last month (much of it using birthday money as well) and you wouldn't believe what you can do with these things. Just take a look...



Birthday Total
All in all, we spent a little over $1.00 on his cake, and put aside $100 on a future present...

Oh, wait. We also ordered takeout after the little kids were in bed. Truly a splurge and something we haven't done in... Well, honestly, I don't know. Certainly not since we started our debt snowball, back in May.

So add another $18.70 to that birthday total.

We were so giddy, it felt like Christmas. All huddled up on the couch watching mindless TV on our DVR, stuffing ourselves with sweet and sour chicken and moo goo gai pan.

Okay, I actually got Lo Mein. I just like the sound of "Moo Goo Gai Pan". Isn't it fun to say? Moo Goo Gai Pan.



Happy Birthday, Hubs. I'm sure the little guy just couldn't help himself... But I'll remember to get frosting next year, just in case.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Hope he had a great birthday!

Melissa and Jeff said...

Someone got a blog makeover..looks great!!