Welcome to my blog!
I will be chronicling my family's attempt to get debt-free and to prepare for the unexpected so that we're not reaching for the credit card every time something comes up! I've been wanting to start this new blog to encourage us to keep running the race, and this week's Blog Party at 5 Minutes for Mom seemed like a good time to start!
We are a middle-class family of five living in the suburbs on my husband's Air Force salary. I know, we are such a unique flower. We have moved nine times in the last fourteen years -- that makes for a lot of financial upheaval! We have always tried to live within our means, but usually we find ourselves reacting to our transient lifestyle instead of preparing for it: We'll put everything on the credit card, and once the dust settles we'll just hope we can pay it off.
This is, truly, the very beginning of our journey to really take control of our finances and to stop letting them control us. I am sure we will make lots of mistakes along the way. I plan to be forthright and dollar specific on this blog, but I readily admit to sometimes struggling with denial or just plain laziness. That's the point of this blog: motivation to stay on track; and accountability -- That's where you come in!
I believe we have so much to offer to and learn from each other. I would love for you all to join me on this quest to be financially free while continuing to take care of the things we already have. This is not about sacrifice; it's about stewardship!
Cast and Crew: Me and The Hubs
This is a rare shot of me and The Hubs, taken during a function we attended last summer. My husband is an active duty Air Force officer who once upon a time was enlisted Army, so we've run the gamut of pay-grades and level of financial solvency. Unfortunately, our cost of living has always seemed to increase every time our income has! Hmmm...I have always managed our finances, for better or for worse, during our 14 years of marriage. And we have always shared accounts. Working on finances as a couple is necessary in maintaining a budget, and that is the area where we have always struggled. It is vital in our lifestyle that the non-military spouse has a handle on the financial accounts and knows how to pay the bills, but in our case that seems to have gone to the extreme: I manage the finances while he simply spends them.
Oh, I kid! Nothing but love for you, babe. *Mwah* Of course it takes two to tango! And if I had to pinpoint my own financial weakness, it's that I'm a sucker for a good deal: if it's a great price, that must mean I can afford it, right?
Ahem. Needless to say, I'm still working on that. As they say, the best defense is a good offense. A good way to not spend money? Don't go shopping. Novel idea, I know.
Of course it is sometimes necessary to go shopping, and I am a proud bargain shopper who can't remember the last time I paid full price for an article of clothing. (That really is a $5 dress I'm wearing!) I also love taking care of my home and don't believe you have to sacrifice quality and taste just to save money -- you just have to know what you like and know where to look.
Cast and Crew: The Kids
Conner...
This is our 13-year-old. The orthodontist just told me this week that he should get braces on now. We're looking at almost $5000 total cost. We have not saved for this.As The Hubs said, "His teeth just ate his first car."
I think he was a little shocked. Did I mention that I've always paid all the bills? I knew this was coming, but still we're not prepared. I actually thought we'd have another six months or so until we had to deal with this...
Olivia...
This is our six-year-old, our kindergartner, our super hero, if you will. She's a precocious little firecracker. The only thing holding her back from going somewhere and doing something anytime and anywhere is her mom's resistant to being a chauffeur and our finite ability to pay for a gazillion activities.Any given day she will say that she wants to learn to play the violin, or the harmonica, or do Karate. Right now she's in dance and tap. We plan to save for a piano...
She reads like a first grader and makes friends wherever she goes. You can't put a price tag on that.
Peter...
Meet our four-year-old, our preschooler, our beautiful little boy who spoke nary an intelligible word this time last year. Peter was diagnosed with a speech disorder verbal apraxia a little over a year ago and has been going to private speech and occupational therapy weekly ever since. He also attends preschool part-time with an IEP (Individualized Education Program).His progress is amazing, and I am so thankful that we have insurance that has paid for these therapies so that we have not had a financial burden to deal with on top of going through the emotional journey of getting this little guy the help he needs.
Thank you for taking the time to stop by, and I hope you come again! Now go and party around with some others and spread some more love.
* I totally swiped this title from USAA magazine's latest issue. Is that okay since I give them credit?
There are so many cool prizes to be won at this year’s Ultimate Blog Party, but my top three picks would be:
- $50 gift certificate to Target Stores Provided by: Shoot-Me-Now
- Kitchen Aid Artisan Stand Mixer Provided by: Moms Who Think
- Children’s “I’m An Author” Story Writing Kit Provided By: Tara Brown
And if my top three picks are already chosen, I’d love any of the following:
21, 22, 71, 84, 88, 118, 4, 20 or anything else related to teens or young children.
32 comments:
Good luck on your debt-free journey. My hubby just got a scholarship with the Air Force for medical school. I can't wait to see him in his uniform *yum*
Wonderful intro to your lovely family! Thanks too for serving our country! WOW! and then the topic for my heart...budgeting...so glad you are tackling this; I love your ideas!
blessings
SisterTipster
homeschoolblogger.com/SisterTipster/
I found you on the UBP site - great name! I also write a frugal blog - check it out. Good luck!
Great site....and you are right budgeting is the new black!
yzgirl4[at]verizon[dot]net
I'm a mom of three too. And, are kids line up! My oldest is a bit younger (11), but my daughter is 5 (6 in July) and in kinder and my son is 3 (4 in May) and in a developmental preschool for speech. I work in early intervention (birth to three) for before they get to the preschool.
Thank you for sharing your husband as he serves our country.
My BIL is career Air Force and just left this week for the desert (4th time).
Happy UBP'ing! Good Luck with your new blog.. you're off to a great start. A special Thank You to your Husband for his service.
Have a Great Weekend.
Debbie aka Jadehollow
http://jadehollow.blogspot.com/
It's so great to meet you! I hope that your financial freedom journey goes super well. My husband and I are working our way out of debt. It is so encouraging to make those "baby steps." Happy Partying! Stop by my blog if you have a chance!
I have to leave so am writing a quick note. I love being frugal too (and yes, our oldest was wearing his first car on his teeth).
On my sidebar are to blogs you might enjoy, "Cents To Get Debt Free" and also "The Happy Housewife". The second one is a military wife and they are striving to live on half their income.
Sorry for being so quick but we have to leave and I just wanted to mention this. I am following you and looking forward to reading your posts!I came over from the Blog Party. Sorry, gotta go!
Anytime's a great time to blog! I have really enjoyed finding my voice since starting my blog last October! Except for the active military husband and moving nine times, our situation is similar to yours. I manage the finances while hubs spends them...and maybe me a little too! {he he he} You have a gorgeous family and good luck with the IEP's. We've had more than our fair share of them since J-Man's been in school. He was just classified with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) so I know how a special "ability" demands a special mom ;) I look forward to hearing your stories and the deals you find!
I've moved 5 times in 1.5 years...we're in the self storage management business.
We used to be spenders but I recently put the brakes on. Just because we have it doesn't mean it has to go out the door.
I've learned alot from fellow bloggers while still incorporating our love of life. For example, I still have a housekeeper, doing the heavy duty cleaning monthly.
I really enjoyed my visit to your blog.
Enjoy the party!
It's another brisk windy day in Vegas!
Just stopping by to say Hi. Oh too be carefree and have no limits on spending, what a dream. I think as long as you pay cash, you can afford it. Hope you have a great blog party.
Hi Great site ! I've been blog hopping thanks to the ubp !
you can check my site out www.bargainfun.blogspot.com
Hey there stopping by to say hi from UBP09! Right there with you trying to get debt free! come stop by say hi and read
Found your blog on UBP 2009. Seems like we are alot alike when it comes to budgeting & using what God gives us wisely - not always easy to do, but I"m glad to do it so that I can stay home! Nice to meet you.
Hi! Thanks for coming to my blog also. We were once in the military--I recognize the "mess dress" as my DH called it. Will Webber USAFA '87 grad/ I don't know if your DH would know him. Anyhoo, We love Thomas also. My "baby" is four also, and SHE is nuts over Thomas.
Thanks for stopping by.
Wow, how could I not drop in on a blog with the word budget in it! Love that you are going to let others follow you on your journey! I will definitly stop by to see how you are progressing.
I found your blog via UBP 2009! Hope you can stop by the ranch (Raging Bear Ranch Tightwad and Proud) where we are on the same journey!
What a wonderful blog name! I'm going to bookmark you and come back when the Party is over.
I am excited to find your blog via the Ultimate Blog Party! I can't wait to come back and read more! Have a great week!
Nice to meet you. Your family is adorable. Good luck with your debt-free journey!
Wow - welcome to the world of blogging! I'm so glad you're here in time to join the party!
I can relate to your husband's view of the braces...our 15-year old's auto insurance just ran over her contacts :)
Best wishes on your journey to financial freedom!
Nice to meet you!
Talk about a party!
I'm quite intrigued and am learning how to get around!
Just stopping by from 5minutes for moms blog party!
Hi! So nice to meet you and your family! Party hopping and participating too so stop in for a visit.
Good luck with your blog and your mission. It's very timely. Come by and visit my blog sometime!
;) Your title is what drew me in. Kudos for giving the mag the credit, I guess, but you totally had me!
Blessings to you and yours for serving our country, and like us, trying to get a handle on those finances.
Oh, I came via UBP...
Visiting from UBP. Good luck on your journey. We became DEBT FREE April last year. It feels so good!!! Now we are trying to keep our emergency fund from disappearing :)
Beautiful Family, Great Site, I wish you much luck becoming Debt free with a child who is eating cars, and a violin, piano, karate kid... hehehe.
Have Fun!!
Hello! Poppin’ in from The Ultimate Blog Party…all the way from Queensland, Australia! G’Day! I hope you have time to visit my party soon.
I'm giving away Pink Champagne Shower Syrup from Jaqua Beauty...stop on over and enter! Ends April 8. Open to USA.
Ta!
Another Air Force wife with 3 kiddos and one income. Fun isn't it???
Love the blog...will return!
Stopping by from the UBP! Hope you enjoyed this week as much as I did!!! =)
I'm late to the party as usual, but better late than never. I enjoy your blog and I'll be back when I have more time. I'm trying hard to budget but it gets away from me at times.
Happy party! Nice to meet you!
Hey there-
I am just stopping in from The Ultimate Blog Party (after party) to say hello. Come by my place to enter to win a LeapFrog Tag Reading System and some books by pledging to read to your child everyday. You can also enter to win a pair of Girl's Crocs - Size 8/9. :)
This week to keep the party going a little longer, I am hosting a few more giveaways. Stop by and see what you can win!
Stacie
The Divine Miss Mommy
http://www.thedivinemissmommy.com
http://www.twitter.com/stacieinatlanta
Post a Comment