Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cleanliness is so overrated.

No sooner do I get back from my trip to Chicago then our washer goes kaput. Lots and lots of water -- NOT INSIDE THE WASHER.Not good. Especially when you're right in the middle of trying to catch up on your laundry. I'm really not too keen on washing clothes in the bathtub; I'd rather my kids wear dirty socks for awhile. (And I'm pretty sure that's what my 14yo has been doing.) (Though I'm in complete denial.) Unfortunately, the remaining laundry continued to sit smack dab in the middle of a giant tornado. When the washer broke, it stole away any motivation I might have mustered up to do anything about the mess that surrounded it. This was particularly bad considering my parents were coming to visit.

We have an awesome, incredible basement. Perfect for the kids to run around in and destroy while I look the other way. The problem, however, is that this basement also serves as the guests' bedroom. And this morning? Right before my parents were due to arrive? This was the scene:


BASEMENT BEFORE

Conner even amused himself with a funny picture he took with his DSi.

Pretty clever, actually. Maybe we should have made our own book. Then I could have hired someone else to take care of this mess.

Instead I gathered up the kids and threatened bodily harm even though I ended up picking it up myself anyway we all worked together to quickly put the basement back into tip-top shape.


BASEMENT AFTER


Not too bad, if I do say so myself.

And that corner? With all the laundry? Just to remind you...

CORNER BEFORE

Now it's a nice little oasis for my mom:

CORNER AFTER
Of course, I just hid all the laundry away...

I was surprised to learn that our washer and dryer are included in our Home Warranty. We'll still pay $70 for the service call on Monday, but the repair and any parts needed should be covered.

Hopefully the washer is reparable. It ain't exactly a spring chicken. I don't know how much longer I can go on ignoring my teenager's dirty socks.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Enjoy reading your blog. Sorry to hear about the washer. Hopefully it can be fixed. Check out my blog www.nursingawaydebt.wordpress.com