They have a couple of cows. (Still calves, really.)
Pigs (these are mainly their teenage son's venture)...
And goats, among other animals.
The goats roam free, along with the chickens.
Not that you can tell from the picture above of the chicken coop, but these guys have the run of the land. They roam all over the grass and field and even into the plentiful woods, eating worms and grubs and bugs and whatever it is you don't want to know about that they love to pick out of the cow patties.They just wander in on their own come evening time and put themselves to bed. Every once in awhile a chicken will go missing and they'll find a pile of feathers in the woods...
Sigh. It's a hard life, even for a chicken.
Peter really liked this little guy.
He was friendly, and not in an obnoxious way. He and his buddies help keep the grass mowed.Maybe we should look into getting goats? I bet the neighbors wouldn't mind.
A couple of days ago, they got in a shipment of 100 chics.
How's that expression go - "Shake the hand that feeds you"? In this case, I guess you can say we just pet her feathers.At least, she'll be feeding us one day. Because these eggs rock.
When I run out of eggs and can't connect with my egg pusher for too many weeks, I go through withdrawal. I try to make the kids eggs every morning for breakfast, and we have Brinner at least once a week. I almost can't stand to scramble up the store-bought eggs anymore: they are decidedly pale and tasteless in comparison. My kids don't gobble them in the morning as readily, either.How much? $2.50 for one dozen. That's up from the original $2.00. Supply and demand, people, and their business is booming. That's capitalism at its finest.
2 comments:
I love farms like that :) I grew up in the country, so that's probably part of it, but there's something about the simplicity of farm life :)
I agree - I don't like store-bought eggs anymore either. It's worth the little extra to me to 'taste' the egg. I also found that the fresh eggs flip better - yolks don't break. My mom, who grew up on a farm, claims fresher egg yolks are firmer. This suburb raised girl never knew. S
Post a Comment