On Cars
You might recall how The Hubs' car went kaput about a month ago? And how we thought it might be the transmission? The immediate reaction was, "Oh, we gotta get a new car."
Once upon a time (like, oh, a year ago) we likely would have started looking into trading it in for a different vehicle. Not a new car, mind you, but a new one to us and one that we would not have the cash to pay for. We would have acquired new debt and not thought twice.Before we found out that it wasn't the transmission (phew) we talked about the options. It came down to, What can we do that won't accrue debt?
I told The Hubs, "We have the cash to fix this car to the tune of $2000-$3000, if that's what it takes. Would you be willing to drive a different car that we could buy for that same amount of money?"
The answer was an unequivocal, "No."
We stopped talking about trading it in.
Then it ended up being a $300 repair instead of $3000 and all was well with the world.
On Computers
Our desktop frustrates us on a daily basis. If The Hubs were not so computer literate it would have died long ago. New desktops are cheap -- but not free. We're holding off. A year ago? We'd probably have bought a new one by now.
The Hubs has been jonesing for a new laptop for.ever. (I might have mentioned that here, here, here, here and here.)
I really want The Hubs to get a new laptop, too. Because I'll get his old one! Between the (relatively speaking) archaic desktop and me and the 14yo fighting over it (darn his pesky homework) I'd love me a laptop just so's I could do my writing stretched out on the couch all lazy-like.

We came to a compromise that, if he deployed, we'd get a new laptop before he went even if we hadn't finished our (current) snowball. It does look like he'll deploy (for real this time) in January. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the official hard copy orders...
But I'm not sure if he can hold off that long. It's like the proverbial carrot, just dangling there, teasing you.
Baby steps, people.
Oh, And the flat screen? If I'm being honest with myself, I just can't justify it.
Blast this blog.
1 comment:
If he deploys, I could send you one of ours, or money towards one more exactly suited to what you want...laptops are wonderful. Have you considered getting one of those Acer or Asus 10 inch netbooks they have now for about $300 at Costco? Check them out online, as some even have 7-8 hour battery life and they now have standard size keyboards (check the specs VERY carefully as places like Best Buy, Circuit City, and cheesier ones often try to sell you older models with crummy specs for the same price). The only drawback is the Windows operating system (they get spyware easily, even with security software.)
Personally, I am a total fan of Apples. The new Macbook is 999 before discounts (I know, ghastly price). They have student and govt discounts and perhaps your PX can get it. The thing is, the NEW one has better battery life because it has an LED backlit keyboard (good for typing at night), great resolution, good features. Also, Apple's site sometimes has refurbished ones (even the newest model) that have the same guarantees as the new ones, often with beefed up hard drives and memory. Their built in software is so much better and leaner than Windows. The photo program is a dream. Sorry to blather on, but I wrestled a spyware clogged Sony Vaio for a year and got so frustrated (it would swallow comments, and delete emails and have connection problems)
Post a Comment